Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Patience


Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. Romans 12:12   

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11   

As a child, I can recall looking to the horizon and wanting something more. Whether that was looking to my small town baseball field with lights blazing, wanting to be attending a game; or the southern horizon which comprised a hill and a huge oak tree half a mile in the distance and wanting to be “somewhere bigger”; or the western horizon where I could see the banks of the Missouri River 30 miles away. I wanted more than what my little town had to offer; I wanted to be living in those places I’d only read about. I wanted my life to start! And not on this little farm in South Dakota.

However, while I don’t long to live there, I enjoy going back home. The new home owners allow me to explore the property that has changed so much since I lived there, and changed not at all. I appreciate what that farm and my life growing up has given me: contentment with quietness, appreciation for nature, an introspection that I think serves me well today.

God always knows what’s best for us. We may not know this until later, when we have the benefit of hindsight; but, His way is always the BEST way.

Prayer: Dear Lord, sometimes we long for what we don’t have…it may be related to finances, friendship, career, family.  We might be impatient when things aren’t going well, or when we are suffering through crisis. Help us to be content where we are and to call to you for peace. Let us ask you for help in changing those things that we need to change. Remind us that you are with us, every day. Amen.
 
Donna Gustafson

No comments:

Post a Comment