Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, October 2, 2026

Good Listeners

When I visited my dad recently, he had a couple of church member friends and a former neighbor visit him while I was there. These folks were talkers! What became clear to me was: my dad is a great listener, and others enjoy spending time with him as a result. What I’ve also realized is: when talking with him on the phone, it’s harder to appreciate his good listening skills! Sometimes his lack of what I expect as a response is frustrating.

I was thinking how this is for us, when we turn to God in prayer. We may know in our hearts that God is a “good listener” but don’t always get the response we’d like. 

Scripture tells us:

And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him. John 5:14-15 ESV

Before they call I will answer; while they are yet speaking I will hear. Isaiah 65:24 ESV

And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him. Hebrews 11:6 ESV

Pray without ceasing. 1 Thessalonians 5:17 ESV

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. Philippians 4:6 ESV

Prayer: Dear Lord, help us to turn to you in prayer, knowing that your “answer” may not be exactly what we’d like, but allow us to focus on the connection and our relationship with you.

Donna Gustafson

No comments:

Post a Comment