Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Some thoughts on Psalm 139

You have searched me, Lord,

    and you know me.

You know when I sit and when I rise;

    you perceive my thoughts from afar.

You discern my going out and my lying down;

    you are familiar with all my ways.

Before a word is on my tongue

    you, Lord, know it completely.

You hem me in behind and before,

    and you lay your hand upon me.

Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,

    too lofty for me to attain.

Where can I go from your Spirit?

    Where can I flee from your presence?

If I go up to the heavens, you are there;

    if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.

If I rise on the wings of the dawn,

    if I settle on the far side of the sea,

even there your hand will guide me,

    your right hand will hold me fast.

If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me

    and the light become night around me,”

even the darkness will not be dark to you;

    the night will shine like the day,

    for darkness is as light to you.

For you created my inmost being;

    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;

    your works are wonderful,

    I know that full well.

My frame was not hidden from you

    when I was made in the secret place,

    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.

Your eyes saw my unformed body;

    all the days ordained for me were written in your book

    before one of them came to be.

How precious to me are your thoughts, God!

    How vast is the sum of them!

Were I to count them,

    they would outnumber the grains of sand—

    when I awake, I am still with you.

If only you, God, would slay the wicked!

    Away from me, you who are bloodthirsty!

They speak of you with evil intent;

    your adversaries misuse your name.

Do I not hate those who hate you, Lord,

    and abhor those who are in rebellion against you?

I have nothing but hatred for them;

    I count them my enemies.

Search me, God, and know my heart;

    test me and know my anxious thoughts.

See if there is any offensive way in me,

    and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalm 139

When reading this psalm from the Message Bible, a verse that really struck me was Psalm 139:6 which is a summary and overwhelming awareness of what the first 5 verses already discuss of God’s providential and incarnational presence.  Look at the first 5 verses and then read v. 6:

This is too much, too wonderful – I can’t take it all in!

But more is coming! Like, where can one flee or try to hide in God’s all-encompassing presence? If one goes to Hades, or to darkness, or to anywhere, it is still in the purview of God’s grace and presence. Light and dark are all open to God! One could not count the ways in which we are near God. For the sands of all the beaches, deserts, and oceans cannot contain such presence. Again, it is too much and too wonderful to take it all in.

So, yes, such intimate knowledge of God’s gracious presence is there from growth in the womb to birth. 

Now, feeling overwhelmed has a whole different perspective of how we deal with stress. Even in the face of evil and encounters that confront us with evil and threats, yet the overpowering presence of God out maneuvers and hedges around us to see us through such moments and stress. Again, it is too much and too wonderful to take it all in.

Yes, in 51 plus years of ministry and life, I have felt much stress and some quite overpowering, even when I felt powerless to continue. Thanks to friends of faith and an Incarnate Providence of God in Christ I could reach when there was nothing else to grasp.

I had a poster that hung on my study door with a kitten hanging by a rope with its paw in the rope! The saying on the poster was: “When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on! “ 

Imagine the relief and letting go expressed in Psalm 139:22 – it is the release of stress that God does guide us through, even if it is too much and too wonderful to take all in.

“See for Yourself whether I’ve done anything wrong—then guide me on the road to eternal life.”

Prayer: O Gracious God, when things get overwhelming, I pray that the encouragement and presence of your grace will hedge around me that I may fully be in awe of your care, even if it is too much and too wonderful to take it all in, through Christ I pray. Amen

Rev. Dr. John J. Duling, Honorably Retired

No comments:

Post a Comment