I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. Romans 12:1-2
Whoever loves his own life will lose it. John 11:25
I, at first, thinking of myself rather than my father, said
“No” to his request. He kept mentioning the request that he would like to visit
Sweden. His forefathers had come from there and he wished to see where they
lived. He did not have information about them but did have a name or two.
Finally, I realized he was in his late 80s, and I was the
only opportunity he had to help him travel across the ocean to see Sweden. Many
opportunities had taken me to Europe so it would be easiest for me, his oldest
daughter, to help him travel. We had lost my mother to brittle diabetes (she
had been one of the first diabetics in Nebraska to have an insulin pump); so, I
agreed and started planning the trip.
Our connection to Sweden came from Sixten Loftgren. My
father, LaVern H. Johnson, had met Sixten when he was in Phelps County Nebraska
at the Court House looking for his deceased brother’s farm. The worker who was
helping Sixten saw my father in the room and said this man knows Phelps County
very well and can show you where your land is located. LaVern and Sixten became
very good friends and continued to communicate. When we told Sixten we were
coming to Sweden he invited us to his home first and made us reindeer stew
which was delicious.
Bryce Hastings and I were dating long distance because
he was still running his Hastings and Chivetta architectural firm in St. Louis.
When he heard I was taking my father to Sweden, he decided to take a vacation
and join us. This was a blessing to me. Another addition came when I thought I
wanted to take my oldest granddaughter, Allison, with us. Her parents were
agreeable, so we became a foursome. It was easy for me to share a bedroom with
Allison, but more of a struggle for the two men. Bryce was wonderful as he
cared for my father.
Sixten took us to the archives of Swedish people and helped
us find our relatives in Sweden. It was unbelievable that when he called them,
speaking in Swedish, they wanted us to come visit right away. We drove in rain
for a few hours and then the sun began to shine. As we pulled close to the
relatives’ home, we saw a dozen people and cars in the road blocking it so we
wouldn’t miss the relatives. It was awesome.
We have since had several of the families visit Nebraska and
stay with us. My brothers and sister have had the opportunity to meet these
Swedish family members and helped us show them LaVern and Pauline’s farm home.
For thou art my rock and my fortress: therefore for thy
name’s sake lead me, and guide me. Psalm 31:3. I am so happy I quit
thinking of myself and did what my father asked of me.
Sandra Hilsabeck
No comments:
Post a Comment