Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, November 16, 2023

Singing Praises to Our God

Then the Lord God formed man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and the man became a living being. (Gen. 2:7 New Oxford Bible)   

As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.  When he had said this, he spat on the ground and made mud with the saliva and spread mud on the man’s eyes, saying to him, “Go wash in the pool of Siloam” (which means sent).  Then he went and washed and came back able to see. (John 9: 5-7 New Oxford Bible)

It’s November again! For more than a decade now, I have used my early morning prayers in November to sing praises to the Lord for the restoration of my eyesight. (All 4 surgeries and healing after several months of treatment were accomplished in the month of November). I start my praises to God by rereading the 9th chapter of the Book of John which tells us the miracle of Jesus healing the blind man.

Fast forward that story into the 21st century and you have my story. To Jesus, the substance of man was dirt and he healed the blind man by placing mud (dirt and saliva) on the man’s eyes. When my eyes were healed, the doctor placed donor tissue on my eyes (the substance of mankind on my eyes).  However, the 21st century miracle takes a bit longer as time is needed for God’s healing to take place. 

This process is a very traumatic one because as the recipient of donor tissue I realized that someone had to die to donate his or her eyes. It is a very sobering thought. As much as I prayed for the restoration of my sight, I could not pray for someone to die to accomplish it.  

In my prayers in November, I also give thanks for donors who have given of their bodies to save others in need, and to the doctors whose skill accomplishes the transplants. Then, over it all, we wait for the healing hand of our Lord and Savior.

Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father, I sing Your praises for the healing of all of us who are in physical need, and I ask You to bless the donors who so generously give of their bodies and the doctors who act as Your healing hands on earth. In Your Son, Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.  

Judy Welch

No comments:

Post a Comment