Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, February 15, 2023

God's Promises

For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whom so ever believes in him, should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16 

We stood by the window watching huge ice chunks slide from the roof and hit the deck below. We were in awe until our daughter reminded us that that probably happened every winter. We had just not been home in the winter for 22 years.  Oh, we said, of course. Then the miracles began to happen. The green grass appeared and the coral bells lifted their heads and amid the brown leaves, the strawberries are still alive. How could you not believe in a life after death when you can see it happening right before your eyes as the sun shines down on us? 

Like the disciples in Mark, I am sometimes without understanding. I feel the depth of despair as my friends of over 40 years leave this earth one by one. My sisters either are 90 or approaching that age. All three of us are finding it difficult to remain upright day after day but the promise of life after death is a promise we hope God will keep. Would I have asked Jesus for more than I deserve as I am prone to do in this life? Can I do as our visiting pastor said the last of February - can I ask others what can I do for you? 

The days of Lent drift by quickly and the cross looms on the horizon. But also comes the promise of melting ice, growing flowers and neighbors once again visiting over the fence. 

Prayer: Thank you God for the return of sunshine and the promise of a new season. Thank you also for the friends and neighbors that remain unseen but are still there. In your son's name we pray. Amen

Carolyn Olsen (reprinted from 2021)


No comments:

Post a Comment