Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, December 5, 2022

Ancestry

This is the family tree of Boaz, beginning with his ancestor Perez; Perez, Hezron, Ram, Amminadab, Nashon, Salmon, Boaz, Obed, Jesse, David. Ruth 4: 18-22     

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government will be upon his shoulder, and his name will be called, "Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end, upon the throne of David, and over his kingdom, to establish it, and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and for evermore. Isaiah 9: 6-7 

There shall come forth a shoot from the stump of Jesse, and a branch shall grow out of his roots.  In that day the root of Jesse shall stand as an ensign to the peoples; him shall the nations seek, and his dwellings shall be glorious.  Isaiah 11: 1,10

I enjoy watching the current ancestry programs which track the guests’ families back through multiple generations. It has set me to wondering what it would be like if Jesus was on one of these shows. The host of course would thank Jesus for taking time from his busy, busy schedule of traveling around the area preaching, teaching, and healing.

Host: You must know that generally it is very hard to trace the individual ancestry of the Jews past a few generations. There are few hard copy records except for the Torah of course, and most of it comes from word of mouth through the ages. However, we were surprised to find that your ancestry goes back through 42 ancestors. Did you have any idea that this existed?

Jesus: Well, I heard that I was of the lineage of David and that made me special.

Host: What do you know about your immediate family?

Jesus: Well, my father, Joseph, was a hard-working carpenter, very compassionate, and loved my mother Mary very much. My mother was a young virgin when they were married. I have heard rumors that I was conceived by the Holy Spirit.

Host: There seems to be a great deal of prophesies regarding someone like you. What do you think about this?

Jesus: I have been sent to earth by my Heavenly Father to teach all of mankind about my Father. I particularly enjoy the prophecies from Isaiah and the other prophets. 

Host: Is your message just for the Jews?

Jesus: The Jews are my father's favorite, but my message is for all the world, including the gentiles. If you look at my heritage, you will find gentiles like Ruth, Rahab, Tamar who played important roles.

Host: Are you telling me you are the long-awaited Messiah?

Jesus: What do you think? The blind see, the deaf hear, the crippled walk, and the dead are raised from the grave back to life.

Host: Truly you must be the long-awaited Messiah!

Prayer: Thank you Lord for your love. We, like the 42 ancestors, are awaiting the Messiah, and now with awe, you have come into our midst like the ancient prophesies stated. Thank you for being the savior of the Jews as well as the gentiles. As we prepare again for the wonders of your birth, help us remember that God is the God of creation and of all time, and that his kingdom shall have no end. Amen.

Nancy Hall

1 comment:

  1. Nancy, that is a beautiful devotion. It fits right along with Thomas's sermon. Jesus is the Messiah and we await his birthday.

    ReplyDelete