Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, September 19, 2022

Depending on the Influence

Test everything. Hold on to the good. 1 Thessalonians 5:21

Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm. Proverbs 13:20

Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity. 1 Timothy 4:12

From Jay Wellons’ book “All That Moves Us: A Pediatric Neurosurgeon, His Young Patients, and Their Stories of Grace and Resilience”, Jay speaks of the term “pluripotent”: used to describe stem cells, important microscopic structures inside our bodies that have the ability to become nearly any other cell line, he says: “and this part is key—depending on the influence”.

I think of this highlighted phrase “depending on the influence” and how it applies to our lives. How we are influenced by the friends we keep, the books we read, the songs we sing, the television we watch.

Sometimes I feel that my life is a bit unbalanced, that is: I do better at keeping “good” influence in some areas more so than others. Another angle is to consider how our own behavior influences those around us. This is especially clear when raising children or spending time with children. In any case, something to keep in mind as we continue on our earthly paths.

Prayer: Dear Lord, help me to remember that what I spend time doing and who I spend time with influences my spiritual life. Help me to strive, with your help, to be a positive influence as well. Amen.

Donna Gustafson

No comments:

Post a Comment