Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, November 19, 2018

Childlike and Too Observant


People were bringing little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” And he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on them and blessed them.
Mark 10:13-16

I have been told by many people I have “childlike” views. I accept that; I find it helps me to continue in my life seeing the good things. I enjoy animated movies, the characters and how they express their feelings. Recently I went to see Christopher Robin the movie and was asked: don’t you feel silly going to children’s movies? No, I don’t; and whether or not I get the privilege of seeing it with my grandnieces and nephews I still attend. Listening to Pooh’s childlike views of the world and the games he likes to play gives a person the lightheartedness to balance out all the serious, stressful and tragedy in the world today. Recently I participated in the Trunk or Treat at my sister’s church.  It’s been a tradition now, I have dressed up as a Polar Bear, a Pirate, a Witch, and this year we were Animal Control Officers. I loaded my dog kennels in the car, filled them with stuffed animals, cats, dogs and had a bear driving the car.  We handed out candy and got to see all the kid’s costumes. The family next to us was Mickey Mouse house with Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck and Goofy. The father was a great sport and dressed up as Donald. It was a good time for adults and kids to relax, have fun and not think about all the concerns of the day for a short time. 

I also love to make stuffed animals talk to the kids and become involved in the daily activities. They find it silly and fun to have the stuffed animals communicate with them.  One time we were having lunch and I made their stuffed animal ask for a French fry and my grand niece turns to me seriously and said, “you know they can’t eat right?” I said yes; but we can pretend. She said, "good", and handed the animal a French fry and laughed. What can be more refreshing than to see/hear a child laugh! We also play games when we travel; such as gathering the animals we see outside the car. The first one to see a herd of cows would say, “my cows”.  Each collecting their animals until we arrive at the destination. Which leads to another comment from friends, you are way too observant! You see things outside the car and mention it in conversation. I guess this goes back to my childhood travels with my parents where we would point out different sights: windmills, animals, shapes in the clouds, buildings, etc. I can’t imagine traveling and just sitting in the car and never enjoying the sights. It may not be the destination, but isn’t it the travel there that makes it a memory with those you are traveling with?

There is so much sadness and unhappiness in the world. The tragedies, illnesses, hurt, and hate that we face each day. We need to bring God back into our lives and enjoy the time we have on this earth with thanks and praise to Him for all he has given us. To bring imagination and wonder to those around us, to spread the joy and gladness that we are so blessed with.

Prayer: Dear Father, thank you for all the wonderment of the world and its uniqueness. Thank you for designing each leaf, each snowflake, and each human individually with their own characteristics and beauty. Thank you for the sounds of a child’s laughter and may we each remember our childlike vision, imagination and hopes to share with others. Help us to take the time to enjoy your blessings each day no matter what age we may be. Help us to spread that happiness to others around us. Amen.


Lori Hood

No comments:

Post a Comment