Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Wandering Heart: "Praise the Mount": Commentary

Read Matthew 16:13-20 | Psalm 19

Commentary | Dr. Terence Lester

Before my journey with Love Beyond Walls, I encountered adversity and hardship. Raised by a single mother, I experienced childhood trauma and homelessness. We struggled to find stability. My formative years included gang involvement, depression, and running away. I was searching for somewhere I belonged, a place free from pain, judgment, and disconnection.

At seventeen, I was isolated and a high-school dropout. Then my life took an unexpected turn. As I left the school I had stopped attending, a man called out to me. An inexplicable force compelled me to approach him. He confirmed that he was unhoused. He asked me if I attended the school, and earnestly delivered words that would change my life forever: “Do not stop going to school, because one day you will be a leader.” He continued, “You don’t want to end up like me—homeless.” It felt as though God was speaking directly to me, assuring me of his presence. It was a profound revelation, a moment of feeling truly seen. This motivated me to overcome my struggles, dedicate my life to the Lord, and serve those experiencing homelessness. It all began with a seed of revelation.

In Matthew 16:13-20, we encounter Peter at a crucial juncture in his relationship with Jesus. He has been found, rescued when sinking, and has now experienced a profound revelation. These pivotal moments lead him to declare who Jesus truly is and the purpose behind his coming.

We too are invited to reflect on where we have encountered God and seen God’s hand at work. As we explore Peter’s confession, we witness the blossoming of a seed that was sown throughout his journey. This confession and recognition of Jesus as the Messiah testifies to the transformative power of faith and God’s constant presence. Themes of professing faith and seeing the divinity of Jesus, as well as unwavering devotion to God, all come to the forefront.

Peter, previously known as Simon, son of Jonah, symbolizes our own spiritual journeys. Just as he experienced moments of wandering, uncertainty, and questioning, we too must navigate the complexities of faith. Yet God is continually sowing seeds of revelation, patiently nurturing our understanding of God’s presence.

Peter’s confession is a reminder that faith is not stagnant but dynamic. It’s a “mountaintop faith” experience, a moment of clarity, when we profess our devotion to God and acknowledge who God is in our lives. It’s a declaration that God is near, guiding us along the path of revelation.

Let us reflect on our own spiritual journeys and consider the seeds of revelation in our lives. They shape our understanding of God and draw us closer to God. Let us echo Peter’s confession of Jesus as the Messiah, the Son of the living God. May our journeys be marked by the continuous growth of these seeds of revelation, leading to an unwavering devotion to our Heavenly Father. Just as Jesus affirmed Peter’s confession, may we find affirmation in our faith, as God sees the best version of ourselves and continues to plant the seeds of revelation.

Reflect: What “seeds of revelation” has God planted in your life and your life and faith journey?

Reprinted with permission from A Sanctified Art

No comments:

Post a Comment