Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, July 17, 2023

Perspective



It has been two years since my cousin, Marti, died, and a couple of photos popped up in my Facebook memories this week. Right after she died in 2021, her sister and I tried to find photos from our few childhood vacations together, whether in their hometown of Rapid City, South Dakota or mine in Delmont, South Dakota (the above photos both feature Marti).

I was reminded when seeing these two photos together how one’s perspective changes when we can see someone else’s point of view.

The example illustrated here: I always wanted sisters. Times that my two cousins came to visit were anticipated with great excitement. We were close in age, and I had no sisters. It wasn’t until later that I realized they enjoyed time spent with our family in part because they had no brothers (and I had two!). All wanting a bit of the lifestyle offered when an opposite-gendered sibling enters the picture. One adapts, of course, but the feeling of longing may remain.

At first I thought this devotion was about being satisfied with what we have, but it’s also about empathy: trying to see the world through someone else’s eyes. An example of wishing for a certain sibling is not facing extreme hardship, but the point is: looking at life through someone else’s eyes may help us to appreciate our own life more (or simply appreciate someone else's point of view!).

The scriptures below reflect this:

Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:11-13 ESV

You will make known to me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever. Psalm 16:11

But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. 1 Timothy 6:6-8

Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind. 1 Peter 3:8 ESV

“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12 ESV

Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2 ESV

If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together. 1 Corinthians 12:26 ESV

Prayer: Dear Lord, help me to keep in mind that there are many ways of looking at life. Show me how to see the world through others’ eyes, and to be content with the life you have given me. Amen.

Donna Gustafson

No comments:

Post a Comment