Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, June 15, 2023

Attitude and our Faith

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Philippians 4:8

A joyful heart is good medicine. Proverbs 17:22a

I love how a co-worker’s child always says “I will!” when I say “have a good day!” We may not be able to control the world, but our attitude can be a reminder that we CAN be in control of our reactions and responses to what happens to us. Attitude can make a difference in our sense of well-being and affects our relationships with others. Gratefulness also affects our sense of spirituality.

In a recent devotion in The Upper Room, the author speaks of praying for those whose trash she is picking up at a park, and how “God changed my anger and frustration into forgiveness and empathy”. She uses the phrase “reshape our thoughts” in much the same way I refer to attitude here. In another Upper Room devotion, the author mentions someone referring to a positive attitude as coming from Jesus. Sometimes overt positivity gets a bad rap (the implication that it masks our true feelings), but in this case, a positive attitude in our interactions with others can show God’s love and light.

In addition, I think of our attitude shaping the way we feel that prayers are answered. A few years ago I had started to make notes for devotions, noticing areas where my prayers were answered. Some might say it’s all a matter of perspective, and I can’t disagree. However, I’d rather believe that God also had a hand in those answered prayers.

Prayer: Dear Lord, help me to remember that I can’t control what happens around me, I can’t control the behavior of others, but I CAN control how I respond. Help me to keep an open perspective and see how you are present in my everyday interactions. Amen.

Donna Gustafson

No comments:

Post a Comment