Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, October 29, 2018

Music


“And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” 2 Corinthians 12:9
There are songs I hear and immediately emotional feelings take over; either from a happy or sad moment in my life. Old Rugged Cross brings memories from visiting my uncle in the country on different visits. I remember visiting my Great Uncle Willy and him playing a huge pipe organ brought over from Germany by his parents. My parent’s church had a song hour prior to church service where members could come early to request songs to sing. My mother said she found comfort in hearing certain songs from her past.  At our annual family reunion on Sunday mornings family members will gather and sing their favorite church hymns.   

Because He Lives has been a song of strength for me in many tragic and struggling moments in my life. Many times in my life this song has been sang and it is as if He is bringing a strong arm around me to support me in my sorrow. Many years ago my family was stranded in the snow and we were walking through deep blinding snow and for some reason the lyrics of “If we make it through December, everything’s going to be all right I know”.  Now that song had nothing to do with the time of year as it was April. Looking back on that now and I felt He was telling me in His own way, “Everything is going to be all right”.  Who doesn’t get the childlike comfort when you hear the song Jesus Loves Me? 

Horatio Spafford was a well-known and successful businessman in the 1800s.  He lost his son to illness and not long after he lost much of his wealth in a fire.  He lost 4 daughters in a shipwreck. Even after all this, he wrote the lyrics to It is Well With my Soul. To me, this song is a burst of release of burdens, concerns, and sadness as you feel the strength and comfort enter your soul. 

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Refrain:
It is well with my soul,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin—oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!—
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

But, Lord, ’tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh, trump of the angel! Oh, voice of the Lord!
Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when the faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

Throughout my childhood we had music playing all the time, either through records, radio or just singing. It still brings joy to hear these songs. 

Prayer: Dear Father, Thank you for the beautiful music that is brought to us throughout our lives, thank you for the talented musicians, artist and song writers that throughout the years have brought us ways to express our thanks and love for your love. Thank you for the comfort we feel when we sing praise to your name. May we always be blessed with your comfort and love. In Jesus name we pray, Amen. 

Lori Hood


No comments:

Post a Comment