Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, November 16, 2017

Trust in Times of Turmoil


Save me, O God, for the waters have come up to my neck.  I sink in the miry depths, where there is no foothold.  I have come into the deep waters; the floods engulf me.  I am worn out calling for help; my throat is parched.  My eyes fail, looking for my God.  Psalm 69: 1-3
 

I have been thinking recently about challenges in life.  The times when we feel we are up to our neck – in the mire, or the deep water, or the floods.   As I read this verse I couldn’t help but think of a very dear friend who, after 20 years of sobriety, relapsed and has not been able to get control over her addiction for more than a year.  In a recent call, it was as though I could hear the flood of addiction taking over her life…. The mire sucking her down.  One moment she was begging for help, and in the next moment unwilling to take any help that was offered. 
 

How often do we get caught in the mire and don’t use our voice to call for help or our eyes to search for God?  Moments where we choose to remain miserable, times at work when we believe that asking for help is a sign of weakness, times as a parent that we miss the joy of raising a child because we are struggling through the unrelenting responsibility of being a parent… there are so many times when we can feel overwhelmed and alone in this earthly life. 
 

These times in the mire are not constant, we all have good days, and bad days.  Sometimes the mire sucks at our ankles and we know we are free to escape but we choose not to.  Sometimes we even know people who love the mire and can’t get enough of the drama, or the problems. 
 

Knowing that I can lean on God is a tremendous relief, knowing that he has the strength to pull me from the mire gives me comfort. 
 

Prayer: Gracious God, I know you are always close by.  I know that you don’t want your children to suffer, please continue to be with those who have lost their voice or whose eyes have turned away.  Help them from the flood, do not let the undertow pull them down. 
 

Christi Moock

No comments:

Post a Comment