Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, April 7, 2017


A Prayer for My Child  

 

1 Chronicles 5:20They were helped in fighting them, and God handed the Hagrites and all their allies over to them, because they cried out to him during the battle. He answered their prayers, because they trusted in him.

 

One memory I have of my childhood is of my mother in prayer. Each morning, she would sit in the living room, where it was quiet and the shadows dark before the sun lit up the day. She would either be reading her Bible or have her head bowed, arms folded between her knees. My brothers and I knew to leave her alone during this time, and simply walking through the room felt like intruding. At the time I didn’t think much of this, but as I’ve grown and had children of my own, I’ve often thought about for whom and what she was praying. As parents, we earnestly pray for our children’s well-being.

 

There have been times when I've wondered how prayer works, times that I thought praying for specific results was a waste of time. Shouldn't we simply be praying that God's will be done? However, I believe my mom prayed that God’s will be done in my life, and I believe she prayed for more specific things for me. God wants us to pray that His will be done, because He knows what’s best for us, but He wants us to be specific in what we ask for, too. Because my mom trusted in God, her prayers were answered.

 

Often I've looked back on my teenage years as a time that my life could have gone many different directions. Of course, we can say that's true of any time in our lives, but what has stayed with me over the years is the belief that my mom's prayers kept me safe. No matter what was going to happen, she was asking God to guide me and be with me.

 

Dear Lord: Thank you for guiding and directing us. Help us to remember that we must trust in you, no matter the circumstances. When we cry out to you in prayer, Lord, hear our plea. Amen.

 

Contributed by Donna Gustafson

No comments:

Post a Comment