Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, December 9, 2016


ADVENT DECEMBER 8

PEACE

 

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Philippians 4:7  

 

I recently read a magazine article about a woman whose teenage daughter was struggling with her personal identity. In the story, the mother spent hours, days and months praying that her daughter would bend to her will.  She, and members of her church, prayed that the daughter would follow their preferred path.  The family sought counseling at church and through a licensed professional and these approaches increased the arguing among them. In a moment where the stress and the tension were completely overwhelming, the mother took time to herself and prayed for God to bring her peace with her daughter's personal identity.  In the story, the next morning the mother awoke and felt the peace of God. In all the time that she had prayed in despair for God to change the person that she was praying for she was frustrated but when she asked God to bring her peace and to help her accept the path her daughter chose, she was able to find relief.

 

After reading this story I spent MANY days thinking about the times that I ask God for what I want. Praying to change a situation, to help something align in a way that will be easier, less painful, or even to allow me to take a passive role and let things play themselves out. In the moments where I have asked God for guidance or to help me to let go of something troubling I have a much greater sense of relief.

 

Prayer: Creator God - in moments when I desire my way or my will, remind me that you can help bring me peace and acceptance. You have the power to protect our hearts and our minds, to relieve our concerns and to help us to recognize our powerlessness.  In a time when it can be hard to control all the moving pieces and parts in our lives, I can count on you to bring me relief over my concerns and sorrows. Amen.

 

Christi Moock

 

No comments:

Post a Comment