Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, February 12, 2024

Making Excuses

"But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said, ‘I have just bought a field and I must go and see it. Please excuse me.” Luke 14:18

I have a friend who I’ve known for almost 50 years. When we run into each other, she’s friendly and talkative and invariably ends the conversation with, “We’ll have to get together sometime.” For the first ten years of our friendship, I’d reply, “That’s a good idea. When should we do it?” My friend would say that she’d give me a call. After ten years of the call never coming, I decided to change my response to, ‘Well, let me know when you want to do that,” but didn’t expect to hear from her.

Now, you may ask, “Why didn’t I just initiate the invitation?” I have no good answer to that! The friend is a pleasant person who, I’m sure, would accept my invitation if I contacted her, but wasn’t the ball in her court since she was the first to suggest getting together? Did I really want to spend time with her? Was I afraid she would turn me down? Had this proposal to “get together” been exchanged too long to have sincere meaning? So many possible excuses.

A story is told about a man who wanted to borrow his neighbor’s ladder. His neighbor says,” Sorry, I can’t let you borrow my ladder. It’s holding up my wall and the wall will fall down if you take the ladder.” “Why that’s ridiculous, your ladder doesn’t hold up the wall!”  “That’s right,” retorts the neighbor, “but when you don’t want to do something, one excuse is as good as another.”

Making excuses keeps us from experiencing many things, both positive and negative. The invitation to “hit a few balls” with your new supervisor at work might lead to a long friendship formed around your mutual love of golf. Pleading, “I’d love to, but I promised I’d take the kids to a movie,” could be interpreted as not wanting to socialize with your supervisor and forfeiting future invitations. Excuses sometimes protect us from anticipated rejection; if I say no, I avoid the possibility of getting hurt. Excuses cover up our poor judgement; I didn’t want to eat that apple, but the snake made me do it! 

What about when God asks us to do something to further His kingdom. Do we take a chance and say, “Here I am Lord,” or do we give an excuse? Are we too old, too young, too fearful, or do we accept God’s invitation? Do we take our salvation seriously and make it a priority or do we miss out on the joy and peace that come with receiving God’s love by making excuses?

Prayer: Help us hear God’s call to accept his salvation not with excuses, but with an enthusiastic, “Here I am Lord.” We know we need to make the things that are important priorities in our lives. Give us the courage and strength to reach out and accept God’s invitation to eternal life without denials, excuses, or justifications for our hesitation. Amen

Carol McClain

No comments:

Post a Comment