Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, August 25, 2023

Human Contentment

I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. Philippians 4:10-12

And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19

His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 2 Peter 1:3

Shirley Pope Waite in the Women’s Devotional Bible says,“What a lesson Paul teaches me in Philippians, He refused to dwell on past ugly mistakes or unfair criticism. He put those things behind him, and kept his eye on what was ahead, saying ‘But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.’” Philippians 3:13-14

We have so many people, adults and youth who are struggling with life today, even to the point of taking their own lives. Many need psychiatrists and doctors to try to guide them into believing life is worth living. Let us follow the advice of Paul who wrote Philippians during his imprisonment. Can we learn to be content whatever the circumstances? Can we believe God will meet all our needs as Paul states in Philippians? Paul believed, even when he was in prison, that Christ Jesus came to earth and will call us heavenward. We can believe the Bible which tells us Christ has that power.

That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. This was said by Paul in 2 Corinthians 12:10.

Prayer: Dear Lord, please give us belief that you are with us all the time. Help us to get through challenging times and lift up others like Paul did. Remind us daily that Jesus is with us in this world and has prepared a place in heaven for us. Thank you for the answer to discontentment in our Bible. In Jesus Name, Amen.

Sandra Hilsabeck

No comments:

Post a Comment