Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, May 24, 2022

What It Takes?

During the month of March, I had a major life change. I got a new job. Getting from point A to point B was a messy process. I was uncomfortable and had to prepare for the worst. I got the job offer March 11th and started my new position in Omaha March 21st. Prior to the new job offer, my current job had been experiencing fluctuations and the temporary role I was fulfilling for about a year was being phased out. It was disappointing and I felt like I had failed in some regard. I was proactive of my current situation. I applied and received the necessary government support such as food stamps, Medicaid, and energy assistance.

I know I have not been the only one who has felt uncertainty throughout the pandemic, but I had to face hard truths. I had been job hunting for over a year without success. My current role was being phased out quickly and I knew I would have less income coming in. Six months prior I had applied for emergency rental assistance in Lincoln based on some advice from a friend. This proved to be a lifeline as I had gotten approval for my rent to be paid April through June along with my internet bill. The same day I received the funds, I received notice from my boss that my hours would be drastically reduced in that my temporary role was disappearing. It was devastating, but I didn’t scorch the earth. I managed to work with my landlord to receive money back that I had prepaid for the April rent. I went and received it that day. I came back to work with about a dozen cookies and handed them out to all the employees who were working that day including the boss who had just given me devastating news. He needed a cookie just as much as I needed to give him that cookie. We are often presented the question of “What would Jesus do?” as Christians. I believe that Jesus would have gotten cookies for the office. He would have also continued to persevere despite the challenges. He was comfortable with being uncomfortable. 

From Matthew 4:1-11: 

Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. And after fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. And the tempter came and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, command these stones to become loaves of bread.” But he answered, “It is written,

“‘Man shall not live by bread alone,
              but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”

 Then the devil took him to the holy city and set him on the pinnacle of the temple and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down, for it is written,

“‘He will command his angels concerning you,’

and

“‘On their hands they will bear you up,
               lest you strike your foot against a stone.’”

Jesus said to him, “Again it is written, ‘You shall not put the Lord your God to the test.’” Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. And he said to him, “All these I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me.” Then Jesus said to him, “Be gone, Satan! For it is written,

“‘You shall worship the Lord your God
             and him only shall you serve.’”

  Then the devil left him, and behold, angels came and were ministering to              him.

I could have screamed and cried or let anger run through my veins, but I chose a different way. I took this setback and persevered. It was a week later that I was able to find a new job in Omaha. I came back to my boss with the exciting news and planned my transition. My transition wasn’t a failure, but an opportunity to face the world with stronger resolve.

There are other factors to this story. During this time of transition, I was taking an independent study on data mining that had strengthened my resume significantly. I was consistent with my work with career advisors and my continued learning to find this opportunity. I had to become comfortable with being uncomfortable while continuing to plug away at this important life change. I was fortunate enough to have the resources such as friends and family to help guide me during this period of transition. I am fortunate and blessed to have people who want to see me succeed. 

Prayer: Dear Lord, please guide us through these difficult times of uncertainty. Help us to be comfortable with being uncomfortable. Help us to live as followers of your only son Jesus Christ. Continue to guide us through your words and through the Holy Spirit. In your name we pray, Amen.

Charles Kendeigh

 

1 comment:

  1. May our Lord continue to be with you Charles. In Jesus name Amen.

    ReplyDelete