Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, April 16, 2020

Together

“When two of you get together on anything at all on earth and make a prayer of it, my Father in heaven goes into action. And when two or three of you are together because of me, you can be sure that I’ll be there!” Matthew 18: 20 (The Message)

“Now this is what the Lord says. He created you, people of Jacob; he formed you, people of Israel. He says, “Don’t be afraid, because I have saved you. I have called you by name, and you are mine.” Isaiah 42: 1 (NCV)

We are all navigating these strange waters of physical distance. I have worshipped from the couch in my home by tuning in to the Live stream services with EPC. They have brought much encouragement and peace and a sense of connection. I am appreciative of the technology and individuals who have made it possible for this to occur. 

Until Easter Sunday, though, I hadn’t been in the EPC sanctuary to assist in leading worship. In my midst (but remaining six feet apart!), were Pastor Melodie, Brian, director of music, Vince, AV tech, and Brent, at the organ. That was it; just the five of us. As I stood to approach the microphone as I’ve done many times before, waves of emotion flooded my heart. This was not rehearsal. The pews were eerily empty. I had an overwhelming realization of how much joy it brings to me to praise God together in word and song, share God together in presence and love. I’m afraid I’ve taken that for granted in the past, now that it is not possible. This just didn’t feel “right”. I was quite humbled, to realize the honor and privilege it is to be welcomed into the precious, holy “sanctuaries” of your own homes. 

It was at that time, I sensed we weren’t alone. It wasn’t just the five of us there. The Holy Spirit was moving and soothed my unsettled heart! A sense of peace swept over me as I peered out at the pews and saw each of your faces; most of whom I know your name and which side or pew you usually sit; those faces who I’ve prayed for and have prayed for me; faces I might not know yet; those faces I miss when they’re absent and I worry about, hoping they’re ok; those faces who’ve worked beside me, led, inspired, and encouraged me. New faces, old faces, faces from the past…you were all there. Together, we will be, we are, even in physical distance!

It helped me to imagine the Holy Spirit and Living God was moving in our homes, in our worship and in our hearts, wherever we were! I prayed the risen Christ stirred us with the message of joy and hope in the words and music that were shared. I prayed God would offer protection and breathe comfort and peace for whatever is weighing heavy on our hearts. I prayed that while we are living in these uncertain and scary times, we release those fears and concern to His care and can live a life of gratitude to our Savior. It’s too heavy for us to carry. I prayed God would soothe the longing for connection, of belonging. I prayed that we can find security in knowing that God knows each of us by name and how much we are loved! We count; we belong to Him; we matter (to Jesus and to many others!) Social distancing does not equal absence! 

To God be the glory!

Diane Worrell Eaton


No comments:

Post a Comment