Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Supporting Families

“Therefore encourage one another and build up each other, as indeed you are doing.” I Thessalonians 5:11

 

Joshua 1:9 “I hereby command you: Be strong and courageous; do not be frightened or dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9

 
A young mother posted this on Facebook (slightly edited): “Sweaty, baby strapped to my back, three-year-old insisting that her belly hurts and NEEDS her donut that she forgot to eat after lunch, six-year-old using everything in sight as a weapon, seven-year-old wanting to spend the only dollar he has. This was my trip to the grocery store today. While I was bagging up my groceries and trying to quietly keep from losing my mind, the lady next to me asked if I have one of those phones that takes pictures. Trying not to convey annoyance to someone else adding to the million questions that made up my day, I replied that, yes I do have one of those phones.  She asked to take a picture of me with my kids. At the grocery store. Together. She told me that she wishes she had photos of herself doing everyday ordinary things with her kids. She validated the fact that a simple grocery trip is hard. She told me that what I do matters. She doesn’t miss what made the days hard, but she misses what made them sweet. I will always cherish the picture she took and the message that came with it.”

 
After reading that Facebook post, I wondered what I could do to be supportive of families. Well, I could let a family go ahead of me in the checkout line. I could give them a smile of encouragement. I could pray for them.

 
What else could you and I do? As the school year begins, families can become overwhelmed by busyness and burdened by many back-to-school expenses. At Eastridge Presbyterian Church we are encouraged to take a prayer card for one child or youth and pray for them regularly. Each of us can do something to make a difference. See the September church newsletter and weekly Lamp for many opportunities to get involved in supporting families, children and youth.

Here are two examples:

Snack Provider – Prepare a snack for the after-school program. Prayer: God, we remember your promise to be with us always. Thank you for walking with us each day. Amen.


Teacher – Prepare and teach a lesson.

Prayer: God, we remember your promise to be with us always. Thank you for walking with us each day. Amen.

Lois Poppe

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment