Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, October 7, 2016


Let It Go

Scripture: Colossians 3:12-14 Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. (NIV)

Psalm 103:8-10 The Lord is compassionate and merciful, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love. He will not constantly accuse us, nor remain angry forever. He does not punish us for all our sins; he does not deal harshly with us, as we deserve. (NLT)

1 Peter 3:8-9,11 Be tenderhearted, and keep a humble attitude. Don't repay evil for evil. Don't retaliate with insults when people insult you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God has called you to do, and he will grant you his blessing...Turn away from evil and do good. Search for peace, and work to maintain it. (NLT)

Romans 12:17-21 Don't hit back; discover beauty in everyone. If you've got it in you, get along with everybody. Don't insist on getting even; that's not for you to do. "I'll do the judging," says God. "I'll take care of it." Our Scriptures tell us that if you see your enemy hungry, go buy that person lunch, or if he's thirsty, get him a drink. Your generosity will surprise him with goodness. Don't let evil get the best of you; get the best of evil by doing good. (MSG)

Having a major disagreement with a loved one gives me a big knot in my stomach. If possible, it's good to step away and take a few minutes (or hours, if needed) to let emotions cool down, to pray and to ponder. God can help me discern whether the disagreement needs to be dealt with soon, or whether it's worth being dealt with at all. (Sometimes I've found it's better to leave it alone.) Whichever way I choose, He can give me much-needed guidance and strength as I proceed.

The first thing I need to do is humbly repent--apologize to that person for anything I did wrong--even if I feel what they did was worse. Once I've done my best to reconcile, then it becomes necessary to "let it go" and "give it all to God". What I must let go of and give to Him, is any lingering negativity I may have. If I don't, I may end up holding a grudge or seeking revenge--potentially damaging or destroying the relationship. I need to trust that God will avenge, if necessary.

What does it look like to "let it go"? My heart needs to be ready to forgive the person if they repent. Each time I'm with them, I try to have a calm and gentle demeanor. Also, I try to be kind, patient and humble--letting them see that being at peace with them is more important to me than being "right". None of this is easy to do, but it helps to think about the way God treats me when I mess up--he's a God of unending mercy and love! My hope is that by trying to follow His example, relationships will not only be mended, but improved. But my greatest hope is that in loving as Christ does, others will be drawn to Him.

Prayer: Merciful Heavenly Father, forgive us for our part in the disagreements we have with others. Please give us the strength and guidance we need to reconcile and "let it go". And thank you for the amazing examples of mercy, compassion and unfailing love you give us every day. Amen.

Sharon Irvin          dashlarlow@windstream.net

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment